Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Heart of Gold

This morning, I rode my trainer's warmblood mare, Landie in the indoor ring. Champ watched me from his stall, along with all the other horses. Landie was a nutcase on the lunge line for a while, but once I got on, she was good to go. The poor thing hasn't been ridden since I rode her a month ago, and if she isn't ridden regularly, she gets stiff. And nutty. I worked on sitting trot with and without stirrups, balance exercises, rhythm and forward movement at the walk, and re-learning correct positioning -- sitting on my 'seat bones' (ischia) instead of hollowing my lower back and sitting forward. It was a good lesson. I missed Champ, though. Next week.

I rode in my very own saddle, which has been a fixture in my bedroom closet for about 12 years. It's a Stubben Seigfried all-purpose, of unknown age. I bought it in 1993 from a girl who rode at the lesson barn where I was riding. Actually, my dad bought it for me. It was the first piece of 'real' riding equipment I owned, and I am really comfortable in it. It was nice to have my stirrups with the sandpaper pads in them, too. I like those. The little things make riding feel like 'home' again.

It rained and rained and rained while I rode, the sound amplified by the metal roof of the barn. There are a couple of mirrors at one end of the ring, and I noted that I did not actually look like the sack of  potatoes I feel like sometimes. Hooray!

After I was done riding, my trainer and I talked and talked while finishing up some barn chores. Leaving the barn, much later than I planned, felt like emerging from some other world, back into this one, where the phone rings with work, and kids need picking up from school, and dinner needs to get started. I wanted to take a nap when I got home, just to prolong the otherness of my morning.

Oh. We looked at the registration papers for Champ to find out his 'real' name.

It's Heart of Gold.

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment