Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Weekend

This past weekend, Travis was in school pretty much all day for his photography class. That meant me and the two kids home by ourselves. It was terribly cold, but I knew we had to get out of the house. A trip to the local winter farmer's market was just the ticket!






Luckily, there was a cool playground to explore!


And quite a good number of vendors, too! Artisan cheeses, wool and yarn, jewelry, cold-weather veggies, lovely breads and baked things, food trucks with all manner of tasty treats. And of course, the REAL reason I wanted to go to the market....


Yoder's Doughnuts!! These things have to be available in heaven. I kid you not. I don't even like doughnuts, really, and I could eat a dozen of these beauties all by myself. Sourdough, yeast-raised doughnuts being made freshly one at a time....oh holy mother....and then glazed with the best, not too sweet vanilla glaze. I had one while it was still HOT, standing outside in the cold, and I thought I would die from the yum. Best. Doughnuts. EVER.

They're made by a Mennonite family of five kids and their mom, and I think they are from Madison County, where I used to live. It's about a 2 hour drive, and they are there every Saturday.

At the market, we also saw sheep and goats, and got to pet them both. Wren was particularly taken by these animals, and declared we have to have one of each. When we get our farm, finally, dear, then we will. :)



I loved the soft wool of this sheep. I even bought some grey wool roving form this vendor, so I could needlefelt a small version of the pony Wren rides, Keepsake. And speaking of needlefelting, Champ goes everywhere with us now, riding on the dash of my car.


It was a great, if very very cold, morning. I think we'll have to do that again, especially for the doughnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment