Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring, please!

It's Easter weekend!

We colored eggs yesterday, and I spent most of the day baking and cooking. Happily, I did get to run out to the barn for a ride on Champ. I wish, I wish, I wish it could have been a trail ride, because the weather was perfect and I would have loved to spend the time ambling through the woods with my buddy, but we had to settle for some time in the ring, instead.

At least I got to ride in short sleeves.


Trot circles, plenty of working on that 'marching' walk the dressage judges want to see, serpentines for bending, and a couple run-throughs of our current dressage test. And since my trainer said I need to canter more, we did about ten to fifteen minutes of canter practice -- all around the ring, and 20m circles in the corners. Not bad, but he does seem to think cantering always means jumping. Not today, buddy!

This morning, with my coffee, I have been perusing real estate ads, and trailer-for-sale ads, not that we are in the market for either one of those things. I *do* like to dream, though. There's one house currently on the market in our price range and preferred location that has pretty much everything we want in a house and horse farm -- established fencing, four stall barn (attached to the house by the laundry room!!), and plenty of outdoor storage. The only thing it lacks is a fourth bedroom, so that makes it not even a consideration. Boo. It's been on the market a while, too.

I don't think I've really recovered from the disappointment of last fall, finding our perfect farm-to-be, and not being able to buy it because we couldn't sell our house for what we needed. The market is turning around now, but the timing is crummy. I don't want to pull my oldest from her high school, so we'll wait til she graduates in three years.

At any rate, as much as I long for the ability to look out my window and see my horses in my field, it's good to get back to the equestrian life in the way I am doing it now. While I'm still home with young children, it's a lot less stressful and simpler. But I still can dream for the time being, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment