Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Assortment

I don't mean to get into politics here, because I try to keep that out of my conversations with most people, but I have to say something. If you post a picture that makes fun of the First Lady and compares her to one of the apes in Planet of the Apes, and I then say I think that image crosses a line, don't respond with a dissertation about how fun has been made of all presidents and first ladies in years past, and how certain white presidents were also compared to monkeys and apes. I don't have a problem with people engaging in lighthearted teasing, or satire, it happens all the time, we are ALL guilty of that, no matter how pure of heart you think you are. I mean that if I have to explain why an image of a black woman next to an image of an ape is racially insensitive, if not outright racist, then I guess I don't know what else to say to you. It's not 'political correctness', it's being decent. Read your history.

Act like a human being.

************************************************************************

I think I might be getting somewhere with Champ. He's still tough to figure out -- he seems to have no rhythm at all, and I can't figure out how to make that happen when I need it, beyond making sure we canter and jump before we do anything like a dressage test. How DO you bring out the rhythm of a horse's walk and trot so he's not mincing along like some 18th century dandy?

He was sweet in the cross ties for grooming, and although we had to have a discussion about the work that was going to take place in the riding ring, it was okay for my first time riding trainer-less. I wish I could have gone for a trail ride instead, but I don't know the trails, and I don't feel confident enough to just try and figure it out by myself. I practiced my test a couple of times, and worked on that last tight turn down the centerline toward X.

Already I want to go back out there tomorrow morning.

*************************************************************************

My friend, who is a mosaic artist, posted a link to Dolce & Gabbana's Winter 2014 line (I know, right?), which shows part of the collection done using Byzantine mosaics as inspiration.
I love the Byzantine period -- so glittery, so ornate, and so interesting! -- and seeing some of the ancient mosaics interpreted in clothing is just fantastic. I think this one is my favorite:


Yep, I think I would totally wear that. And the shoes. And I would definitely wear the one behind it, too.


And speaking of shoes....these would be my choice, were I to be able to afford anything with the Dolce & Gabbana label on it. I like the bag, too, and would NOT turn it down were it gifted to me, but I prefer mine to have a shoulder strap -- need to be hands-free, sometimes.

Travis has gone to school for the day, and I need to find something to do with Steroid Rage Boy (poor Noah is on steroids for respiratory junk), and his sister, Does Her Own Thing. Ha. I think a trip to the winter farmer's market for some homemade sourdough doughnuts, and then some holiday redecorating might be in order.

Let's have a good day! 


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment on Michelle Obama. We do need to say something when we disagree or folks just think it is okay and acceptable.
    And I love those fashions - so interesting!

    ReplyDelete